Jesus: The Pre-Existent Word
In the mind of the ancient Jews, the phrase “the Word of God” could be used to refer to God Himself. In the Bible, the phrase is used in a number of different ways. It refers to something that God has decreed to come to pass. It is also used for the actual spoken words of God. Words that God has spoken through the prophets can also be called “the Word of God.” The phrase can also refer to God’s written Word. Finally, Jesus Christ Himself is called the Word of God.
The Word (Gk Logos) is a title for Jesus as the communication and the revealer of God the Father.
- Jn 1:1 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- Jn 1:14 – The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
- Jn 1:18 – No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.
- Rev 19:13 – He wore a robe stained with blood, and His name is the Word of God.
As the manifestation and expression of God to mankind, Jesus has an eternal nature. From Jn 1:1, “In the beginning” speaks of the Word’s presence before time and before all created existence.
- Jn 1:2 – He was with God in the beginning.
- Jn 17:5 – Jesus prays “Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.”
- Ps 90:2 – Before the mountains were born or You gave birth to the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.
- Colossians 1:17 – He is before all things, and by Him all things hold together.
Have you allowed Jesus, the pre-existent manifestation of God, to impact your life? Why not allow Him to do so today? Pray and ask Christ to forgive your sin & unbelief and begin a good work in your life.
AND WE ALSO THANK GOD CONTINUALLY BECAUSE, WHEN YOU RECEIVED THE WORD OF GOD, WHICH YOU HEARD FROM US, YOU ACCEPTED IT NOT AS A HUMAN WORD, BUT AS IT ACTUALLY IS, THE WORD OF GOD,
WHICH IS INDEED AT WORK IN YOU WHO BELIEVE.