In Christ: Grace
In Christ Jesus you were chosen by God to receive His grace. 2 Timothy 1:9 states – “He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus…” Grace has been explained as God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.
- “Grace is love that cares and stoops and rescues.”(John Stott)
- “[Grace] is God reaching downward to people who are in rebellion against Him.”(Jerry Bridges)
- “Grace is unconditional love toward a person who does not deserve it.” (Paul Zahl)
- “Grace is God’s best idea. His decision to ravage a people by love, to rescue passionately, and to restore justly – what rivals it? Of all his wondrous works, grace, in my estimation, is the magnum opus.” (Max Lucado)
- Grace is God’s unmerited favor. It is undeserved.
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 1:12-14
In the passage above, Paul states that Grace came undeserved. He was a blasphemer, persecutor, and a violent man. We know from his own personal story that he was responsible for the deaths of many Christians before he came to know Christ. Even in light of this confession, Paul states that grace was poured out on him abundantly. This same grace is poured out on all who are in Christ.
Have you recognized the gift of GRACE in your life? Take a moment and thank God for this amazing gift.
BUT HE SAID TO ME, “MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU, FOR MY POWER IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS.”
THEREFORE I WILL BOAST ALL THE MORE GLADLY OF MY WEAKNESSES, SO THAT THE POWER OF CHRIST MAY REST UPON ME.