Jesus is Life
John 1:4 begins with the phrase, “In him was life…” This speaks of a deeper meaning that all of life emanates from Jesus. All life has its origins in Christ.
The Word, “LOGOS” or “Word” from the three verses previous, encompasses a deeper meaning, in the original Greek language. It contains the meaning of, “the source that controls the universe.” This “Word” -Jesus is the source of all life. Not only biological life but the very principle of life.
That power which creates life and maintains all else in existence is in the Logos – Is in Jesus.
- Jn 17:3 – Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
- John 20:31 – But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
- John 6:33 – For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
- John 10:10 – The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
- 1 John 5:20 – We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
In the final verse above, the gospel writer uses the Greek word, “ginosko” translated “we know.” This is intended to convey a knowing by experience. John was saying we have experienced Jesus the Son of God. We have experienced the understanding that He gives. We have experienced His truth. We have experienced His eternal life!
Do you have this experience of eternal life through Jesus? It begins with acknowledging his Lordship in your life, asking Him to forgive you of your sin, and to come into your life as Lord and Savior.
FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONE AND ONLY SON, THAT WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM SHALL NOT PERISH BUT HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.